Monday 22 August 2016

RPGaDay 2016: 50 Mission Cap

17. What fictional character would best fit in your game?

Assuming that we're talking about NOT FADE AWAY, my game about reincarnated genderfluid warriors battling shapeshifting enemies (and themselves) across the centuries, Connor MacLeod from Highlander would probably have some stories to swap with them.


18. What innovation could RPG groups benefit most from?

If I had a bold new idea for how to improve the hobby, I'd be trying to publish it, believe you me.

A more reasonable response to the question might be that, assuming we're talking about existing innovations in the hobby, groups could benefit a lot from reading materials from gaming communities they aren't currently part of. Sandbox gamers have things to teach drama-centric gamers like me, and LARPers know things that I have found very useful to consider in my games. Gamers tend to be very parochial, and only pay attention to the one or two games that they play fanatically, to the exclusion of everything else. Becoming more cosmopolitan and listening to what others have to say about how they play is really, really essential for improving your play.

19. Best way to learn a new game?

Play it.

20. Most challenging but rewarding system you have learned?

The "Powered by the Apocalypse" games require a big paradigm shift in thinking when you first approach them, but they have led us to some terrific play. My initial reaction was to reject the structure that APOCALYPSE WORLD set up as unnecessary and hostile to GMs, but the more I read (and Avery McDaldno's MONSTERHEARTS really was what made it all click for me) the more I realized the potential and power of this system. Even if you're not running it, understanding PBTA will change the way you run other games for the better.

Every game should have a set of GM rules and principles.

21. Funniest misinterpretation of a rule in your group?

We tend not to be "that group" focused on games with heavy rules that might be misinterpreted. The last time I can remember having that kind of discussion was when I was just teaching myself D&D, back in my misspent youth, when rules were more than a little arcane and poorly organized too.

No comments:

Post a Comment